Saturday, March 19, 2016

Help Me Pick a Hosta!

I've decided to plant hostas under my Japanese Maple Twig, and I need your help to decide which variety.



Just to refresh your recollection, the Japanese Maple Twig looks like this:


In the spring, it is supposed to have yellowish-green leaves with red edges: click here to see.  The leaves then go green over the summer and orange in the fall.

orange dream japanese maple 2.
(Thanks to Mark Bolln on Flickr for this image)


I'm thinking a blue hosta would look really nice with the tree in both its orange and green states.  But here's the question: do I want a plain hosta?



 Or a variegated hosta?



There are two hostas I have in mind, and I'm not going to post the photos here because I don't want to infringe anyone's copyright.  But I will link to them so you can see the candidates.  There's the Blue Mouse Ears hosta and the Touch of Class hosta  They're both lovely plants, and I'm leaning towards Touch of Class, but my question is, will it all look too busy in spring when the maple leaves and the hosta leaves have two colors each?  Should I just stick with the mouse ears?

Here are the rules for voting:

1. Cast your vote by commenting in the comments section.

2. Your vote doesn't count.  I'm going to make my own decision, and it may or may not reflect the vote tally.  But I am interested in hearing your opinions!

3. Because your vote doesn't count, you can vote as many times as you like, and you can give reasons or not.  You can also add write-in candidates if there's another blue hosta that catches your eye.

4. This is not a contest.  There is no prize.  I may run a contest later on, maybe for a gift certificate to a gardening website - but for this vote, there is nothing at all to win except my gratitude for reading my blog.




1 comment:

  1. Have always been a fan of the variegated types, so I'd have to go with the Touch of Class. Of course, I'm not big on the blue ones - they just seem too dark.

    ReplyDelete