Friday, May 20, 2016

Waiting for Purple

Let's talk about the Forever Purple Heuchera.


I ordered two of these plants from Wayside Gardens two months ago, and they still haven't arrived.  In fact, they haven't even shipped.

In retrospect, I should have realized that this was a new plant variety for 2016 and therefore there was no way to know if supply could meet demand.  If customers go crazy over your new cultivar, you can't just run back to the factory and make more.  You have to split your existing plants to propagate new ones, and that takes time.  So somebody has been frantically splitting these suckers to meet demand and then waiting for them to grow, and people who ordered in March, like me, are still waiting.

Meanwhile, Wayside Gardens is still offering the Forever Purple heuchera for sale, with no mention of the two-month backlog - and now they're cheaper than they were when I ordered.  But no, they can't give me the difference between the price I paid and the price they're charging now, because, and I quote, "the plants weren't on sale when you ordered them."  Um, yeah, I know that.  BUT YOU HAVEN'T SENT THEM YET, nor have you charged my credit card, so why must I pay the price from two months ago?

Did I mention that I've never gotten a single email from them about the delay?  I'm not expecting an apology, but I'm miffed that they have not even sent an email notification.  I think in future, I may consider vendors other than Wayside Gardens.

So, do my fine readers have any advice on what I should do?  These are really pretty plants and I'd love to have them in my containers.  However, I can cancel the order at any time before they ship, and order different plants that actually are in stock, not to mention on sale.  For the price of two of these, I can get three other heucheras, in other colors perhaps not quite as pretty as Forever Purple, but pretty enough.  (I could even order them from some other vendor!)  Let me know in the comments what you think.

4 comments:

  1. Cancel the order and reorder at the sale price if you really want them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then I'll be waiting until July or August!

      Delete
  2. My local nursery says they have some that look the same but have a slightly different flower... planning on a trip over there this weekend - I'll let you know what I find....I can mail them if I find something that's close enough....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Palace Purple is the more common one, but I'm not a fan of that color.

      Delete