Wednesday, April 19, 2017

This Year's Crop of New Plants, Part I

Browsing through garden catalogues in the winter is so much fun.  If you're a serious gardener, you plan out your garden thoughtfully and carefully.  If you're me, you say, "Oooh!  That one's pretty!" and order a jumble of this and that.

This year, however, I was at least careful to choose shade-loving plants.  No more Mr. Bowling Balls and hydrangeas for me.  No, I took a good look at what thrived last season, and bought more of those.  And a few new things just to keep it interesting.

My first shipment arrived today from Bluestone Perennials, with help from a gift certificate from Mom.  Thanks, Mom!  I eagerly opened the box and started planting.

First up: another Winterberry holly to join Jim Dandy and Red Sprite.  This one is another female, called "Berry Heavy," and she is even more petite than Red Sprite was when she first arrived.  I put her with her new friends so that she's close enough for pollination.  I think her berries will be more plentiful, and more orange, than Red Sprite's berries.  (And this is what I mean about garden planning.  Any sensible person would buy several of one variety to make a harmonious grouping, not different varieties with clashing berries!)




I paired Berry Heavy with a couple of Silver Gem violas.  I'm still not entirely clear on how exactly a viola differs from a violet or a pansy - they are all members of the same family.  And I'm not 100% sure they will thrive in my shady garden and survive the winter.  But they're so pretty. 


If you've been reading this blog, you know I love hostas.  Two new ones this year: Cool as a Cucumber (left) and Lakeside Paisley Print (right).


Mom and I used to joke that paisley was our favorite color, and we have even visited the Paisley Museum in Paisley, Scotland.  Anyway, the two hostas joined my new heuchera, Delta Dawn.





I think Cool as a Cucumber is going to get bigger than the other two, so I may do some rearranging later in the spring!

There's more, but if I blog everything in one day, what would I tell you about tomorrow?




No comments:

Post a Comment