Saturday, April 22, 2017

This Year's Crop of Plants, Part II

Happy Earth Day! 

If you're a gardening blogger, when is the absolute dumbest time to go on vacation?  Spring, when everything is beginning to bud or bloom or rise from the soil.

So, I'm on vacation.  But I've saved some photos so I can give you at least one more garden update while I'm away.

We were talking about the new plants.  I'd like you to meet Taxus Helen Corbet. 

 
"Taxus" means she's in the same family as  my Upright Japanese Yew - both are Taxus Cuspidata.  "Helen Corbet" is presumably someone involved in the propagation of this cultivar, but I can't find any information about the human Helen Corbet.  The plant Helen Corbet is a lovely lemon-lime color and forms a dense but fluffy mound, which sounds nice for a plant; we have to hope that the human Helen is not lemon-lime colored, dense, or fluffy.  I figure since the other Taxus Cuspidata is thriving, I might as well try another.


 
With her are three other newbie plants.  To Helen's left, the Heucherella Redstone Falls.  A heucherella (also known as "Foamy Bells") is a hybrid cross of a heuchera and a tiarella.  Like heucheras, they come in a wide variety of foliage colors, most of which will revert to green in my shady garden.  Like tiarellas, they have more of a creeping/trailing habit, so we'll see if they trail down the side of the pot.

To Helen's right, a new Helleborus, "Cotton Candy."  And at the bottom of the photo, the Tricyrtis Formosana Samurai, which is a mouthful.  Then again, its common name is Toad Lily, which is a horrible name.  Just another attempt to get something to bloom in my foliage garden!

Finally, the Carex Everest, which is a decorative grass, and which was too busy blowing in the wind to pose for a decent photo.



Meanwhile, nearly everything's coming up gangbusters, particularly the Whee! Hosta, and I'm going to miss it all because I'm on vacation.  My super is watering the plants.  The New Guinea Impatiens died (not frost-resistant), the hens-and-chicks plant died, and the bleeding heart is nowhere to be found.  But the Fire Chief heuchera is finally springing back to life.






No comments:

Post a Comment