Saturday, May 13, 2017

Back from Vacation

I've come back from vacation and my garden looks really nice!



Well, really nice considering it's still a dark alleyway.  But the old plants are thriving and there are new ones coming.

First, I want to mention that some of my hostas are HUGE compared to last year.  For example, here's a photo of the Stained Glass hostas, which came out of a little packet from Home Depot last year (pardon my thumb).  And below it, a photo of what they looked like last year.



That's the same window box, but the plants and their leaves are MUCH larger and completely hiding the purple heucheras.

Another example: here are the three hostas that surround my male winterberry holly.  The curly one is Whee!, the little one is Raspberry Sundae, and the other one is Touch of Class.


See how big Touch of Class has gotten?  Last year, it was about the same size as Raspberry Sundae. See?


Here's a closer look.  I really like the variegated leaves, though they were much bluer in the catalog.

 
Raspberry Sundae looks nice too, with its pretty red spots on the stems - but it's about the same size as last year.


And then there's the Key West hosta - which, in fairness, was always big, but this year it seems determined to completely shadow the hydrangea.




Time to re-pot the hydrangea!  (Or maybe I'll re-pot Key West.)  Also, the serviceberry (the little green tree growing next to the Key West hosta) looks better than it did last year.  In theory, it should flower and then fruit, but I'm not optimistic about that.

A few more plants are on the way, including three trees and a shrub - though the Japanese Pieris I ordered in February is suddenly out of stock.  Boo.  



No comments:

Post a Comment