Saturday, April 6, 2019

Back from an extra-long hiatus

It's spring in the garden once again.  Little stubby green things are appearing in my pots and will soon turn into hostas.



The heucheras are growing brightly-colored little new leaves - which is especially exciting because often, my heucheras do not make it to a second season.



And the trees are budding.


Well, most of the trees.  Maybe not the fig tree.

I suppose I owe you all an explanation for why I blogged only once last year.  There's a one-word answer: fertilizer.  I had asked an employee at a garden center why my Japanese Pieris didn't flower, and he suggested a particular fertilizer.  So I bought the fertilizer, and a companion fertilizer for non-acid-loving plaints, and I fertilized my Japanese Pieris and many of my other trees and shrubs.  Unfortunately, I did so very enthusiastically, and I exceeded the amounts specified by the package directions, and I killed a lot of my plants. I killed the Japanese Pieris. I killed the Upright Japanese Yew that had been in my garden since 2016.  I killed the Orange Dream Japanese Maple that I'd raised from a twig in 2015.  I killed a Boxwood.  And I killed a Mountain Laurel.  Losing so many beautiful plants by my own hand was devastating.

So I didn't have the heart to blog last spring and summer, even though most of the rest of my plants did just fine.  I got some new plants.  I mulched everything last summer and fall, to help the pots retain their heat in the winter, which may be why my heucheras are mostly not dead (though the reasonably mild winter we had could also be a contributing factor).

It's too early yet to play "Who's Surviving, Who's Thriving, Who's Dead," or to show you the garden as a whole, but I thought I'd introduce you to three new plants that arrived this week.  Say hello to the Champagne Heuchera!


Please welcome the Lady in Red Fern!


Yes, I agree, she does look like a Lady in Green.

And I'm not sure what you should say to the Rhino Hide Hosta.


Yes, that's exactly how it arrived.  Looks stone dead to me, but I put it in the ground anyway and will keep you posted.

By next weekend, four new trees and shrubs will have arrived, so that's something to look forward to.  Happy spring from Grey to Green!

1 comment:

  1. I am in awe of your gardening skills and determination. In my garden is a big pot of sempervivum that absolutely lives up to its name. Everything else is kind of hit and miss

    ReplyDelete