Thursday, May 7, 2020

A Walk in the Garden, Part 3

We continue our walk through the garden with Pot 9, which has always been a problem pot- until now!


This year, I added a Hellebore (Lenten Rose) that I purchased at Whole Foods back in early March, before social distancing began, and a couple of bare root astilbes that I bought this year from Breck's.  There's also a Breck's hosta in there, but you can't see it amidst the greenery.  Also in the pot: two violets that self-seeded in 2017, and never bloomed before - until this year!

Violets are one of my two favorite flowers (lilacs are the other), so I am thrilled to have gotten some by accident.  Yay Nature!

Pot 10 has the Oregen Fern Japanese Maple (from ForestFarm, like all my trees) and some glacier ivy from the Greenmarket, both in 2018. 


 Also three bare-root hostas from Michigan Bulb in 2019.  One is unidentified; two are our old friend Blue Mouse Ears.


Pot 11 has decided to take on the role of Problem Pot this year.  It's supposed to contain the Marvelous Marble heuchera, which looked great last year but is now stone dead.  Also a bare-root hosta from Walmart, and a self-seeded willow oak from 2017, which is also looking dead, but may just be a late leafer.  (See my future post titled, "My Back Yard Wants to Be an Oak Forest.")


Pot 12 is a columnar European hornbeam, from 2018, which is doing very nicely.  So nicely, in fact, that I've decided to try and make a hedge by growing several hornbeams in adjacent pots.



I saw hornbeam hedges in Germany last spring - here's one:


And I thought, "Wouldn't that be a nice way to hid that ugly grey wall in my back yard?"  So - the hedge begins this year.

Also in pot 12, the Curly Fries hosta:


And two nameless bare-root hostas from Walmart (see my future post titled, "Camille Tries to Identify Her Nameless Hostas").


Pot 12A: oh, look, it's another hornbeam, new this year from ForestFarm.


Also two new plants from Bluestone Perennials: the Stainless Steel heuchera and the Waterslide hosta.

Pot 12B: hornbeam #3, plus at least five hostas -


Two of them are the Stained Glass hostas I moved out of my windowbox because they were getting enormous, but then I forgot they were there and planted three more hostas from Breck's.  Probably I ought to move those three to the empty windowbox before their roots get too deep!

Stay tuned - at least two more days of garden walk to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment