Tuesday, May 5, 2020

More on my garden, 2020

Hi, all.  Before we look at the next set of things in the garden, I wanted to let you know that the "green fluffy thing" in Pot 3 is an Aruncus hybid "Fairy Hair," which I bought last summer in Connecticut.

Moving right along.  Pot 5 was mostly empty last year - it had been the home of the fig tree that died.  So in fall 2019, I moved the astilbes out of Pot1 into Pot 5.  As you can see, they like their new home.


These are supposed to be red astilbes, but according to my Garden Map, when they bloomed last year, they were not red.  What color were they?  I neglected to write that down - so we'll just have to wait until summer.

Here's Pot 5A:


The center shrub is a barberry, which I purchased last year from ForestFarm at Pacifica, my favorite tree and shrub people.  When I got it, it was shaped like an ordinary bush, but it immediately put out that enormous shoot going straight up.  Looking for sunlight, I imagine.  Good luck with that!  On the left is a Champagne Heuchera, also a 2019 purchase, from Bluestone Perennials.  Here's a closer look:


Also in the pot are the Rhino Hide hosta, not shown, and the Lady in Red fern, below.  Both of those are also from Bluestone in 2019.



Pot 5B is new this year, and contains another barberry, this one called the William Penn barberry, berberis gladwynensis.  It's just a baby.


Pot 6 contains the Taxus Helen Corbett, which is this little yew bush I purchased in 2017.  It's still doing just fine.  The light green on the branch tips is new growth.


However, I managed to lose two plants from this pot over the winter, which is not good at all.  One was the Apple Crisp heuchera, and the other one was the Redstone Falls heucherella.  Fortunately, I split the Redstone Falls a couple of years ago, so I still have one in another pot.

Pot 6A has three unidentified hostas, all of them purchased bare-root from Wal-Mart in 2018.  Buying hostas as bare roots is cost-effective, but I'm not always able to identify them by name when they come up.   Still, they're healthy and look nice in the garden, so I can't complain!



Pot 6B contains the Columnar Chinese Poplar, from ForestFarm in 2019; an enormous hosta that I bought in Connecticut last summer, and a new hosta for this year, Neptune.



I can probably find the name for the big hosta if I look hard enough.  It may need a pot of its own!



Neptune has thin leaves, and I'm not sure it's going to last in my garden.  Here's the plant upon arrival in April:


And here it is now, with two empty stems where the wind just blew the thin leaves off.  Of course, judging from the photos above, they may already have been broken in transit.



 Pot 7 has the American Hazelnut, purchased from ForestFarm in 2018, and thriving, though I doubt it'll ever give hazelnuts again.  (I got three in 2018.)


Also in Pot 7, two bare-root hostas from Walmart, 2018 (here's one):


... and a heuchera that I purchased in 2019 but am unable to identify.  I did not do a great job keeping up with my garden map last year!


Pot 8 is easy to identify.  Three Blue Mouse Ears hostas.


We'll continue the walk through the garden later in the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment