Thursday, April 21, 2016

I May Have Gone a Little Overboard on the Hostas

We're coming close to the end of the "a new box has arrived" posts, but we're not there yet.  Today, a box arrived from Wayside Garden.  And, as the title of this post suggests, I may have ordered a few too many hostas this year.  But there are so very many varieties to choose from!

First up, the "Touch of Class" hosta.


Touch of Class is a blue hosta with a touch of gold, though this one looks to me as though it's green with a touch of green.  The blue is caused by a wax in the leaves, and I've found one website that says that various things (stress, too much sun, pesticides) can turn your blue hosta green, and once it's green it'll stay green for that year.  We'll see if that's true. 

Touch of Class joined Raspberry Sundae and Victory in my little hosta garden at the base of the Jim Dandy holly.  This is becoming my favorite pot.



Next, the Blue Mouse Ears hosta.


These seem a little bluer than Touch of Class.  Blue Mouse Ears was Hosta of the Year for 2008.  It's a miniature hosta, so I bought four of them to try to form a ground cover under the Japanese Maple.



Finally, not a hosta.  This is a Ghost Lady fern (Athyrium x Ghost), which is a cross between a Japanese Silver-painted fern and a Lady fern.  It's supposed to have "silver-gray fronds so luminous they appear to glow."


Again, I just see green.  And mine doesn't appear to be glowing.


It looks perfectly nice next to my Upright Japanese Yew and Paprika Heuchera, but the fact remains that it's entirely green. I guess this is what I get for titling my blog "Grey to Green garden."

2 comments:

  1. Loving the various hostas. None of ours have emerged this year and I think we may have lost them all, which would be sad. I may have to dig up the rootballs and see if they are doing anything, or just rotting in the ground. So I see yours and have hosta envy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be very sad; I hope they are OK. I'd offer to split some of mine for you, but I think we're on opposite sides of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete