Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Vertical Plant Wall

I had a meeting in midtown Manhattan today.  I arrived early, so I strolled around the neighborhood for about 15 minutes, and I'm so glad I did, because I saw this.



Up close, it's a series of 4 x 6 inch boxes, stacked together in six-by-six grids, then stacked again.  Each box contains one plant - ivy, pachysandra, heuchera, or some kind of decorative grass I can't identify.





Above each six-by-six grid is a pierced tube that I assume functions as an irrigation system.


The individual boxes must have holes too, so that the water can drip down from box to box.  Also, the soil must be packed in pretty tight to prevent the plants from falling out!

Anyway, whoever does the landscaping at

is my new hero.  Any of my friends want to build me one of these vertical plant walls?

2 comments: