Thursday, April 7, 2016

The Plants Are Coming! The Plants Are Coming!

Well, actually, some of the plants are already here.


My first box arrived today.  The folks at Bluestone Perennials had promised to ship the plants after the last chance of frost, and frankly, they timed it well, because they just missed the cold snap of earlier this week.  I'm quite sad about the cold snap because it did some damage to almost everything in my garden.

But today I'm going to talk about the happy plants.  Maybe I can nurse the sad plants back to health before I have to show them to you.

As you probably know, perennials are plants that grow back each year (as opposed to annuals, which have to be planted anew every year.)  There were four types of perennials in the box, but I'm only going to show you two today because then I can save the other two to tell you about this weekend.


First I filled up a nice planter with potting soil.  Then I opened up the cardboard box.  Inside, the plants were nicely wrapped in cardboard and appeared to be in excellent health.


Inside the cardboard, they were in little biodegradable planting pots that get planted with the plant.



First I planted my two Lysimachea Aurea, also known as Golden Moneywort or Creeping Jenny.


It's the type of plant that will trail down over the edge of the container as it grows - like this.  In some areas, Creeping Jenny is considered invasive - but that's not really a problem here.  I mean, it's in a pot - what's it going to invade?

Then I added three hydrangeas:


These are called "Edgy Hearts" hydrangeas, and in theory they will produce heart-shaped petals edged in white, looking something like this.  I'm dubious about whether any flower will ever bloom in my great big Alley of Shade, but we shall see.  Incidentally, the myth that you can change the color of your hydrangeas by planting them with pennies is false.  The acidity of the soil determines whether your hydrangeas are pink or blue.  If your hydrangeas are white, they will stay white.

I left room in the middle of the big pot for something that probably won't be here until next week.  You'll just have to wait and see.


No comments:

Post a Comment